On January 15, 1954 a group of dedicated Christians from the Unaka community met at the Sportsman Club on John Alfred Loop to form a place to worship. Eighty-three charter members decided to construct a sanctuary dedicated to the worship of God for all Christians.
Unaka Baptist Church was the name chosen for the new church. On February 17, 1954 the Church accepted land given by Bill and Delaney Elliott. The church financed $15,000 and a total of $17,000 was contributed by members to pay for the construction.
The first meeting was conducted in the new sanctuary on Sunday, October 24, 1954 and Earl Campbell was elected as first pastor. The first baptismal service was held on August 14, 1955. A Noteburning Service was held on July 28, 1963 to celebrate the final payment on the Sanctuary.
In 2000, The Stanley Ensor Fellowship Hall and Missionary Cottage was dedicated for service to the church and community. Brother Stanley had the foresight for this need and he was present for the dedication ceremony.
In 2003, the sanctuary received a complete facelift; including new carpet, pew padding, stained glass windows and light fixtures. The parking lot was also resurfaced and striped. A new steeple was erected in 2006 and it is a glowing light to the whole community that UBC is a house of worship and prayer.
10 Pastors have served UBC over the years:
1. Earl Campbell
2. James Dampier
3. Russell Richardson
4. David Salley
5. Ferrell Brown
6. Stephen Presley
7. Mike Lester
8. Tony Griffith
9. Harold McNabb
10. F. Walker Roberson
Interim Pastors: Darrell Holly, Kenneth Jordan, Bill Powell, Tony Oliver